For those who truly deserve the National Artist Award but didn’t get it, and for those who did and truly deserve it.
Nothing Else Matters
Released: July 2010
“Kasi mayaman ka,” sagot ni Maja sa tanong ni GJ kung bakit ayaw nitong makipag-date sa kanya. “And I don’t date rich guys.”
“Ano’ng ibig mong sabihin?”
Sinulyapan siya ng dalaga. “Just that. Snob na kung snob, pero hindi ako komportableng kasama ang mayayaman.”
“Masyado ka lang sigurong na-expose sa mga rich, spoiled brats. Pero madami rin sa ’ming mababait. Ako, hindi ako spoiled at lalong hindi ako brat,” paliwanag niya.
Matagal siyang pinag-aralan nito. “Kaya mong patunayan sa ’king hindi ka katulad ng mga ’yun?”
‘Gotcha,’ gustong isigaw ni GJ. Sa halip, kumindat siya sa magandang dilag. “Kaya. But you would have to take the chance. You’d have to date me.”
- The heroine in this story was supposed to be Mayni, but I wanted her older sisters to have their own stories too so I gave GJ to Maja, the oldest sister.
- I wrote a few chapters for Diwa’s story about five years ago. It was in English, and her hero was supposed to be named Nathan. Nathan became Nathan Callanta, and Diwa was pushed aside until I used her name again in Maja’s story.
- Camille’s character is based on one of my friends back in high school.
- The subdivision where the Altamiranos lived is based on the subdivision in Pasig where I grew up.
- Caffe Agogo is a real cafe in Makati. They do serve really good food.
- The outreach program that GJ attended in high school was based on a similar outreach program that I attended in high school. I did take care of a baby who peed on me.